More Coffee & Cats

On Saturday, the 14th, we all loaded up on another karaoke bus to the Taijiang Wetland Park. There we took a boat tour of the area and even tried out hand at raising the old fishing nets. Although it was raining pretty heavily, I couldn't help but giggle at trying to pull the heavy net up in my bright yellow rain poncho. The guide who came with us, Jospeh, definitely knew his stuff. It was really impressive that he delivered information to us without really hesitating once. I really enjoyed listening to all his facts and history about the area. After we traveled to the Anping area and the Anping treehouse. The one thing I enjoyed most about the treehouse was seeing how all the roots of the plants mingled with the bricks of the structure. It reminded me of the Voronoi pattern you can make in Grasshopper and reminded me how nature sometimes is the best inspiration. I also saw another super cute cat! 

After the treehouse, our official scheduled activities had come to an end and we all headed back. Ned, Kalin Austin, and I, after taking a break at the hotel wanted to try a coffee shop that was open until 11. I think that is a big cultural difference between here and Seattle. In Seattle, coffee shops open at 7 in the morning and close at like 9:30 am. Here, it is quite the opposite. I have noticed in Taiwan, many places I have tried, or wanted to try, open around 12-3 and close at 11 pm. We tried some more basque cheesecakes, our favorite was black tea, and each got some different coffee to pass around. After we had some barbeque, and then a group of us wanted to go to another bar. Secretly on the inside, I am an AARP member and wanted to go to bed early, so I did, but I hung around for a little to see the crazy bustling atmosphere of the pub.


On our free day, Kalin and I woke up at like 12, but we went to another coffee shop and walked around a thrift store. I got a really cute white button-up shirt with frilled sleeves. After, we then stopped for some mandatory 7-11 onigiris and headed off to the beach. we enjoyed the sunset and took some senior-only photos. the taxis for some reason would not come over to the island to pick us up so we had to walk back over the bridge then finally taxi came and got us. After waiting for what felt like 3 years, we got some dumplings at a place we had been before then we were off to a bar I hadn't been to yet, but some of my classmates had called Bar Whisper. I was informed there was a cat there and I was all about seeing the cat. Additionally, I was also told they had a very nice espresso machine and some coffee-based cocktails. The cat was incredible. It was a scrunched-up, shrimp-shaped, very orange munchkin cat. Because he was so cute and polite, I allowed the possibility of having cat hair in my drink. I also wanted to do some sketching so I brought my sketchbook. I think doing sketches in a bar on a Sunday was maybe one of the nerdiest things I have done, but since I brought paper it quickly turned into another group doodle sketch. Since my drink was yummy and we all had a really good time, I left a little doodle for the owner.


 The next day we had time to work with our groups on our projects. I think my group admittedly latched onto an idea a little too quick, which was a little scary since I am so used to days, and even weeks of ideating. But I can also recognize that as a design major, I am probably taking some aspects of this a bit too seriously because it is such an easy mindset to fall into. But breaking news: I can probably let go a little bit. I mean the whole point of this is to have fun and learn, which I am doing both! Group projects can make you feel literally every conceivable emotion and every stage of grief in a 10-minute span, but despite that, I actually kind of enjoy observing how people's individual thought processes work in these settings, and how they approach challenges. Sometimes it can help me approach a challenge in a new way, or help me understand how the person thinks, which can help me in better communicating ideas. After the work session, we went to the area Nanmei village, a very historical area. We visited a traditional embroidery shop and a very old incense store. We also visited a bakery that had many goodies like savory meat pies, other sweets, and traditional mooncakes. I bought a traditional mooncake because I really love beans in desserts. Black beans, red beans, you name it, I'm there. There is something so yummy about the texture and slight earthiness of the beans that I think really balances out other dessert elements. Ned Kalin and I tried a pork and shrimp bun as well which was not what we were expecting, but wonderfully yummy nonetheless. After having our little snack, we headed down to Snail Alley. Though I wish there was some more snail action. At first, I was expecting a snail crosswalk or a small snail-sized night-market-style stall selling fancy snail shells. But I was not disappointed. There were many little snail figures/motifs and some of the coolest manhole covers I have seen so far. I always make sure to look out for cool manhole covers and sewer grates ever since I went to Quebec City, and noticed theirs look like tire tracks! I think it's a very cool way to make something kind of gross, more beautiful. Once we slloooooowwwlly walked down Snail Alley, it was time to head back to the hotel to get ready for dinner. 

For dinner, Kalin, Ned, Austin, and I, went to a donburi restaurant called Mao don. We got a diced sashimi donburi bowl, and shrimp head miso soup. Sashimi, specifically salmon, is my favorite food so I was especially excited to have dinner here. Our bowls were awesome, though I'm really upset I probably won't ever have a bowl of miso soup as good as that again (unless I come back one day!) It was seriously the best bowl of miso soup I have had in my 21 years on this earth. A nice evening stroll back to the hotel, a load of laundry later, a mooncake, and a shower, and I'm ready for tomorrow. It's crazy we only have a few days left because I think we have all grown to really like Tainan. I personally have felt really comfortable here and I catch myself finding it odd to remember I have to return to Seattle where the manhole covers are sadly very boring. Although I look forward to a new quarter and feel grateful every day I have had (and still have some days left!!) this experience in Taiwan. Goodnight!













Comments